Granö camping area, details and equipment
In addition to holiday properties, the island also houses a camping area of the City of Helsinki Youth Services. It is separated from the mainland by a roughly one-kilometre-wide strait.
To the west of the island, on the opposite shore of Kalkkisaarenselkä, lie the nearest docks of Vuosaari Harbour, while Karhusaari and Talosaari are located to the north of the island and Mölandet is located to the south. The City of Helsinki’s facilities are smoke-free and substance-free, and the principles of the Smoke-free Helsinki programme are followed in them.
Camping area equipment
- The camping area houses a building that can be heated up and that accommodates 12 overnight visitors.
- The building includes a fireplace, dishes, dining tables and mattresses. The building features a solar-powered refrigerator.
- Mains power is not available; electricity is generated by the solar panels on the roof.
- There is a dining shelter in the area that can accommodate roughly 20–30 diners. The well water available on the island is of good quality and has been tested.
- An outdoor kitchen with a gas cooker and gas grill. There is also a place for washing dishes outside.
- A playing field, a campfire spot, canoes, kayaks and rowing boats.
- In its own peaceful spot at the edge of the camping area lies Kotalaavu, i.e. a lean-to equipped with a fire pit.
Instructions for overnight visitors
- The City of Helsinki’s facilities are smoke-free and substance-free, and the principles of the Smoke-free Helsinki programme are followed in them.
- Familiarise yourself with the emergency exits.
- The use of candles and other open fire is forbidden in the accommodation facility and the sauna.
- Check where the smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are and that they work.
- Familiarise yourself with the rescue plan, which you can find in the folder on a shelf inside the accommodation facility.
- The distance between the campfire spot and the building is four metres.
- To give neighbours peace, the hours from 23:00 to 7:00 are quiet hours.
- Rowing to a private shore is forbidden. Row along the island’s shore or stay within 100 metres of it if you go on an excursion.
- Sweep and wash the floors of the accommodation facility and the sauna
- Wash your dishes and leave the dish washing station tidy for the next user
- Sort your rubbish and take it with you when you leave the island
- Do not leave any food, drinks or clothes in the camping area
- The user must empty and clean the toilets
- Turn off the refrigerator and solar panel system